Thursday, July 28, 2011

Psalm 23:1

I have been reading Psalms and a couple days ago I read Psalm 23.  I have read this chapter before.  It is one of those that you memorize in Sunday School as a child and it is one that you hear at just about every funeral you go to.  But reading this chapter this time, I saw it in a whole new light.  The chapter is about God and who He is.  It is about what He gives us in the relationship we have with Him.


Psalm 23:1 identifies "The Lord is my shepherd."  "Sheep are dependent on the shepherd for provision, guidance, and protection" (Life Application Bible, p848).  That's what we are to do - depend on our Great Shepherd (Hebrews 13:20) or Chief Shepherd (1 Peter 5:4) for provision, guidance and protection.  The second part of verse 1 is so important.  It gives us hope when it says "I shall not be in want."  So if we depend on God for provision, guidance and protection then we will not want.  God will provide!  What more could we ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment