Friday, December 30, 2011

You Are My Shield...

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. (Proverbs 29:25)


But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. (Psalm 3:3)


The words in these two verses I want to focus on are safe and shield.  Recently God kept me safe. He was my shield, literally.


My mom and I had to drive 30 miles to Tacoma to pick up transcripts for work. It wasn't a trip I wanted to make. It was a waste of a day to make the drive up and back. It was a waste of money for gas and a waste of money for the transcripts. But I did it.


So, we head up I-5 and when we got to Tacoma there is an area of the freeway where there are multiple on-ramps and exits. There are a lot of changing lanes and slowing down and speeding up. It is usually bumper to bumper. A year or so ago the traffic flow was changed and redirected. We got off the exit for the City Center which is now about a quarter - half a mile from the actual exit. I exited and I thought where am I going there's only one other car here? Did I make a wrong turn? This are is usually packed. People are fighting to get over onto the freeway. The freeway is full but no one's on the exit.


This is when God's hand, God's shield was seen. As we were going down the road at 60mph, a truck and trailer flew pass us. Both were full and overflowing with construction materials. The truck was about 30-40 feet in front of us when a 10 foot and 4 foot board about 10 inches wide slid of the truck. We saw the longer board hit the road and splinter into pieces. The shorter board came at us. But instead of going through the front of our car, the board hit the ground in front of the bumper and bounced under my car. It hit the bottom and as far as we could tell everything was fine.


God was there that day. He shielded us from that accident. He kept people off that ramp so no one was injured or killed. He kept us safe. That board could have very easily have gone through the windshield, I could have slammed on my brakes and been rear-ended, or I could have swerved and rolled my car. But I did not have to because God kept me safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment