Friday, March 18, 2011

First Statement of Truth

I belong to a church that stands on 16 Statements of Fundamental Truths.  I believe that all 16 are important and it gives me comfort to see in black and white where my church takes a stand.

The first truth (and one that I take great comfort in) is 
The Scriptures, both Old and New Testament, are verbally inspired by God and are the revelation of God to man, the infallible, authoritative rule of faith and conduct. (based on 2 Timothy 3:15-17, 1 Thessalonians 2:13, and 2 Peter 1:21)
 God inspired the words.  He gave the thoughts and words in the Bible to man to write down.  

He thought enough about me to give me encouragement, hope, love, rules, and boundaries in His written word.  He thought enough to give me a sword when I have to do battle (Ephesians 6:17) and hope when I am walking through a valley (Psalm 23).  Some days what gets me through is to remember that God says in His word that He has plans for me (Jeremiah 29:11).  To know that everything occurs for a season (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8), not a lifetime, gives me encouragement for the future.  

I find comfort in the examples God gives us in His word.  Comfort that He was there for those mentioned and that He will be there for me.  He gave examples of how to live and consequences for not following them.  He shows how He follows through with those consequences.  I find comfort that He will do the same for me since "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). 

No comments:

Post a Comment